Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Happy World Read Aloud Day!



I am so thankful to have grown up in a family that valued reading aloud. I have the best memories of my mom reading The Chronicles of Narnia and The Little House on the Prairie books to my sister and I while we ate breakfast each morning, before we went to school. And I'll never forget my father's voice, and his laugh, as he read aloud The Princess Bride every night after supper one summer, back when I was nine or ten years old.

My dad was also my 4th grade teacher and the highlight of any school day was "Story and Drawing." Dad read our class the Chronicles of Prydain while we drew anything we wanted--none of us ever wanted 'Mr. Visser' to stop reading. I was also blessed with an older sister who read aloud to me into my teens (and beyond)--particularly during summer vacation. Michelle introduced me to the books of Diana Wynne-Jones, Dorothy Gilman, Joan Aiken, Gillian Bradshaw, P.C. Hodgell, and more.

For myself, I was lucky enough to have a child who wanted a bedtime read-aloud until birthday #17. I got to read so many wonderful books aloud for so many years--we went all the way from Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to The Mouse and the Motorcycle to The Ranger's Apprentice series to--coming full circle--The Princess Bride.

Today, via Skype, I had the opportunity to read aloud to group of 4th and 5th Graders at Mill Pond School, in Massachusetts, in honor of World Read Aloud Day. I hope everyone gets the chance to read to someone special before the day is done. Pick a book! Pick a poem! Find a child! Find a friend! Read, read, read, read, read!