Friday, April 13, 2012

A One Shoe Writing Day

I had a One Shoe Writing Day today.

When I say ‘one shoe,’ that’s a good thing… I think. When I have a One Shoe Writing Day, it means I have sat for hours not realizing that I’m only wearing one shoe.

Now, normally, I kick my shoes off (both of them) at the first moment humanly possible. But today it took me four-and-a-half hours before I looked down and said, “Oh! I forgot something.”

On such one-shoe days, my mind becomes so lost in what I write, I don’t even know if the writing is good. I don’t know if what I'm writing has quality, or worth, but I’m so absorbed in the things I’m writing...

And the words I’m putting together...

And the poetry I’m building...

And the worlds I'm creating...

And the universes I am EXPLODING!...

that I look up and I realize—

Oh! I am sitting in a very small room.

Outside my door is a very big world. But it is not the world I was just in. It is not the world in which people who don’t even exist... cried. Or laughed. Or had dreams of barn owls that were once clocks.

And for a moment, the small-big, big-small real world right in front of me is both mundane and wondrous at the same time. Because it feels almost as fictional as the place I’ve been for the last four hours.

Wearing only one shoe.